Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lost mojo or ...

I was telling Patti yesterday that I'm afraid I'm losing my love of scrapbooking. That's pretty scary and sad for me. I really don't want to stop. I think it's a combination of the loss of the SC community (yes, I know it still technically exists, but it's pretty much dead for me at this point) and to a lesser extent, the issues I'm having with my sister which are making me feel less connected to the kids.

So I forced myself to finish a layout last night and it didn't help my case much. I used a Becky Fleck sketch from her (fairly) recent book, the one with the punch out index cards. I promised myself when I bought it that I would at least use a handful of the sketches. Well, as often happens with me, I wound up struggling with the layout and don't love the end result. I find when I'm not doing my own thing that I'm just trying really hard to make it work the way it's "supposed" to. Sigh.

Anyhoo, here it is. And here's hoping my next layout will be more satisfying and will help with my funk...

6 comments:

  1. julie i was thinking about your dilemma last night and maybe you need to do what i have to do when we go south each winter and that's take 1 or 2 months away from it completely. i find that when i get back, i just can't wait to get back into it. you can't quit my dear, there are still too many beautiful julie layouts to be done and seen by us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! I didnt know you kept a blog, I saw your comment on Ash's blog. Im happy I get to keep up with you now.
    Its too bad about the scrapbooking, but I think with your job on the design team it was such a big job that maybe you got bored with it. Now you can enjoy it on your own time. :)
    Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it might very well be a natural side-effect of it all. I was in a similar predicament not long ago. Then, I decided to scrap really for the fun of it, without thinking about what I needed or should be doing but really about what I felt I wanted to do and the way I felt I should do it at the moment.

    Even if it was a grueling month, my participation to the May LOAD challenge really fueled my scrap energy. Maybe it's also time to start an album with memories from your childhood or something different to shake things around a bit.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a passionate and talented scrapbooker who's got a wee bit of burn-out right now. Hopefully you'll feel differently about it after you give yourself a break from it. Let yourself take a bit of time away and see how you feel in a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me sad to read that Julie :(
    I think you either need to take a complete break for a month or so like Pattie suggested.Or like Nathalie suggested scrap something for you.If the sketches aren't working for you then don't use them,just do your own thing as it seems you enjoy that more......I know sometimes they are supposed to help kick start a page but I never find that,that's why I don't use them(except if they are my own of course !!)

    Maybe we need another crop ? If only for the wine and laughs !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( I'm feeling so sad reading this :( I can't imagine you giving it up... we need an intervention. I need to pick a Friday and soon and come over and crop 'til we drop. After I "left" SC, I felt like you did but then one day, the feeling came back and then my niece came along and she's my new source of inspiration. Your issues with your sister will pass and don't "punish" the kids for how it makes you feel, those albums are precious and you need to keep them going :)

    Carine

    ReplyDelete